Sunday, October 14, 2007

ANALYSIS OF THE POEM "PIANO" BY D.H.LAWRENCE EXAMINING POETIC ELEMENTS USED BY THE POET

I make an analysis of the poem entilted "Piano" by D.H. Lawrence examining the poetic elements used in the poem. I will examine the use of Language and Figures of Speech in the poem.
The poem "Piano" by D.H. Lawrence appears to tell the story of a protagonist who is being serenaded by a woman. The woman's singing triggers a state of yearning and nostalgia in the protagonist that makes him recollect fondly memories of his childhood and a wish to return to the uphoria of his past. The language used in the poem is relatively casual and direct. The author begins the story relating how a woman is singing to the protagonist and it causes him to begin to remember the musical enjoyment he used to enjoy as a youth. In casual language this can be seen in an excerpt from the poem:
Softly, in the dusk, a woman is singing to me;
Taking me back down the vista of years, till I see
A child sitting under the piano, in the boom of the tingling strings
And pressing the small, poised feet of a mother who smiles as she sings.
I believe that the poem has been written in the midst of emotion. The protagonist is depicted as going through a serious yearning for the uphoric existence he experienced as a child and really wants to return to that innocent time in his life. An excerpt from the poem depicts this:
The glamour
Of childish days is upon me, my manhood is cast
Down in he flood of remembrance, I weep like a child for the past.
Figures of speech used in the poem include metaphores and paradoxes. I believe that explicit metaphore is used when the protagonist is depicted as yearning for the time of his childhood in lines 11 and 12:
The glamour of childish days is upon me, my manhood is cast
Down in he flood of remembrance.
The metaphore does contribute to the meaning observed in the poem.
I can see a paradox used when the author describes the protagonist expressing what I believe to be the notion that at a certain point it would not matter how well the singer sang with a piano accompaniment it would not improve his situation or satisfy his yearning. This can be seen from an excerpt from the poem in lines 9 and 10
So now it is vain for the singer to burst into clamour
Wih the great black piano appassionato.
I believe that poetic elements were effectively used in the poem.

No comments: