Wednesday, October 3, 2007

USE OF FREE VERSE IN POEMS

The poems that I will discuss, use free-verse in the structure and I believe there are a few reasons why the author chose to use this form. The poems that I will discuss include "Danse Russe," and "This is just to say," by William Carlos Williams.
The poem "Danse Russe" by Williams portrays a man dancing naked in his room (while his family sleeps) declaring and reiterating his guardianship of his household. The lines in the poem are self explanatory and end just in time to make the point in the phrase as well as prepare the reader for continued explanation of meaning in the line to follow. An example can be seen in the following excerpts from the poem:
If I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror...
and singing softly to myself:
"I am lonely, lonely'
I was born to be lonely.
I am best so!"...
Who shall say I am not
the happy genius of my household?
In the poem "This is just to say" by Williams, it portrays the protagonist eating someone else's plums. Each line possesses great and strong meaning on its own. No ryhme scheme or metrical pattern is needed or necessarily desirable. The significance of each line to the relaying of the story encourages the reader to really look at the sentences or phrases and get their impact. An example of this can be seen from an excerpt from the poem:
I have eaten
the plums..
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious

I believe that the author's use of free-verse and not metrical patterns or a rhyming scheme is appropriate for these poems.

No comments: